My Daily Visitor

Monday, August 20, 2012

Aug 20, 2012 - Matthew 19:16-22


I have been away for a while but I am back now. I lost my focus on God for a few weeks and I am endevouring to return my focus back to him. No one is perfect and with that being said....

In today's Gospel, Jesus is approached by a young man who asks, "Teacher, what good must I do to gain eternal life?". This young man is most concerned about how he is going to be judged in the afterlife. Did I do enough to enter in the kingdom of God? Will I be worthy enough to stand before God? Does God expect more of me to be found worthy of heaven?

Jesus puts his mind to rest by saying "There is only One who is good. If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments." But the young man is still bothered that he hasn't done enough. Then Jesus replies "If you wish to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

This got me to thinking how extremely difficult it is to be "perfect". As a human being, it is virtually impossible to be "perfect". I think also about Mother Theresa and how perfect she must have been during her time on earth, yet, as a human being, I am sure she also had flaws. So Jesus gives us the straight and narrow truth with a reassurance that he doesn't expect us to be pefect but to DO YOUR BEST! Keep the commandments, because a perfect life would be that you completely divest yourself of everything you own and give it to the poor. Your clothes, home, car, shoes, money and all other material possessions.

Keep the commandments and leave the rest to God. God loves us and he will never abandon us but he does want us to care for each other. Doing so will make this world a much better place.

"Lord, come into my heart so that I can be more charitible and love my my neighbor as myself" - Amen


Meditation: Matthew 19:16-22 (http://wau.org/meditations/2012/08/20)

---------------------
If you like this story, get more great articles and subscribe to The Word Among Us at: http://www.wau.org

No comments:

Post a Comment