My Daily Visitor

Friday, August 3, 2012

Aug 3, 2012 - Matthew 13:54-58


In today's Gospel, Jesus attempts to teach in the synagogue in the city where He was born. While teaching there, the leaders of the synagogue were astonished at his "wisdom and mighty deeds" (Mt 13-54). I thought to you myself, how would I react today if I had known Jesus all my life and he started performing miracles and wonderous deeds? Would I believe in him or would I write him off as crazy or pretentious?

It's easier to question and use logical explanations to reason away something new to us rather than to trust and accept what your eyes see. And because his own townsmen did not believe in him, he chose not to teach there due to their "lack of faith" (Mt 13-58). This decision by Jesus can be compared to the sowing parable where "the one who hears the word and understands it" (Mt 13-23) will bear fruit.

The verse that spoke to me today is "A prophet is not without honor except in his native place and in his own house." (Mt 13-57). This verse speaks volumes of how we treat our family and friends and we grow complacent with each other. If we can choose to treat each situation with a new way of looking at things, we too will bear fruit to understand and serve the Lord.

"Lord, give be wisdom to understand your teachings so that I do not grow complacent in my understanding. Teach me to learn and accept new things to grow and serve you" - Amen

Meditation: Matthew 13:54-58 (http://wau.org/meditations/2012/08/03)

---------------------
If you like this story, get more great articles and subscribe to The Word Among Us at: http://www.wau.org

No comments:

Post a Comment